In reviewing my last year’s resolutions, I’ve revised this year’s intentions.
- Finish my damn book – My goal for this year is to get this project completed and readable. The project started as a lark ten years ago, and now I’ve done so much meddling with it, I just need to finish it once and for all.
- Find a way to learn to love carrots (or at least sneak them into my diet) – Beyond the fact that they’re supposedly good for you, I’m hoping to improve my crappy eyesight, and possibly set a good example for my son.
- Continue trend of getting to the gym at least once a week – This is just a matter of keeping up with what I’m already doing. Luckily, my husband has been incredibly supportive of my efforts and hopefully can continue to give me this time.
- Do yoga at least twice a week – This is another one I just have to keep doing what I’m doing. While it’s almost impossible for me to do every day, I’m finding more and more opportunities to try it out a few times a week. A good stretch does me wonders.
- Wean myself from Red Bull – This is going to be a tough one, because I fucking love Red Bull. But I’ve noticed that it makes me shaky and I can probably lose that habit for some green tea. At least that’s my hope.
- Eat those Maryland Blue Crabs, baby! – This year WILL be better! You hear that Chesapeake Bay?! I’m coming for ya!
- Get horseback riding, already! – Yeah, this needs to happen. Seriously.
- Make bread once a week – Here’s another opportunity to ramp up existing production. I’ve got to get better at making it happen.
- Golf with my husband once a month in spring/summer/fall (weather permitting) – This is one thing I’ve got to make time for. My husband really enjoys the sport and I’ve got to find time to fall back in love with it.
- Take more pictures – My love of photography has waxed and waned over the years. With my son here, I’m definitely taking more pictures. However, I need to get back out there and find ways to fall in love with my camera and post more images for Foto Friday!
- Let go of “I told you so!” and “My way or the highway” mentality. I find myself being the Bossy Betty I loathe so much. This has to be toned down so the people in my life can stand to be around me.
- Make time for “us.” This should be a no-brainer, but anyone with kids can tell you how easily one foregoes their relationship in lieu of the family unit. My husband and I were partners long before my son came along, and each day we get together is a blessing. I need to remember this and be the woman that he loves, not just the mother to his child.
- Focus on positivity, love and patience – happiness will follow. In other words, get my shit together. I’m trying hard to learn these aspects of my life and each day gets a little better. I need to make some changes, and hopefully the new year brings new opportunities with it.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. I used to hate when people told me this, because it minimized my emotions. I see the truth of it now, however. I’m working each day to let go of the things I cannot control.
- Enjoy the moment, in the moment. This is the hardest one, but the most important I think. If I could step out of my headspace for a few minutes in a new experience, I think it would go a long way to making both my life and the people who I share it with that much happier.